The ship was built in 1943 in American Shipbuilding Company, Buffalo, USA. It was used in World War II during the invasion on Normandy (D Day). In 1950, after completing it`s initial mission, a company from Newcastle named France, Fenwick, Tyne & Wear Co. Ltd bought it. Till the 1970 the ship sailed under the British flag with the name Grangetown. In 1970 Brodospas, a ship recovery and towing company from Split, Croatia purchased the ship where it was to be used as a ship tower until 1992. Our family purchased it in 1992 and in 2007 gave it a current shape of sailing yacht. This beautiful yacht with all the amenities of the 21st century yet retains the look of an early 20th century sailing vessel.

1943 Defence Plant Corporation 95, USA

1943 Transferred to the United States Army; renamed ST 764

1950 Sold to France, Fenwick Tyne & Wear Co Ltd: renamed GRANGETOWN

1970 Sold to "Brodospas", Yugoslavia; renamed POLARIS

1992 Sold to I & F Tomic, Croatia, converted to yacht in 2007

 

Short passage from John Proud's book "150 Years of the Maltese Cross" The Story of Tyne, Blyth and Wear Tug Companies.

" After the Second World War it was to be expected that a great deal of surplus equipment would come on the market and that some of it would either be new or little used. In 1950 a number of ex-United States Army diesel tugs were for sale, and after a lot of thought, France Fenwick decided that there would be some sense in introducing diesel propulsion to their fleet. This was a bold step, for it should be remembered that there were very few diesel ship-handling tugs in operation in the United Kingdom at that time. On the 3rd October ST.764 and ST.761 were purchased and after modifications at R.B.Harrison's yard were renamed GRANGETOWN  (176/43) and RYHOPE (176/43) respectively. Both were to give twenty years very useful serviceto the company. They each had eight-cyclinder General Motors Corporation engines producing 700 bhp and were capable of 14 knots.